Thursday 12 May 2011

Love and Death (tribute to Bob Marley)

Love and Death

Though I am young and cannot tell
Either what Death or Love is well,
Yet I have heard they both bear darts,
And both do aim at human hearts;
And then again I have been told
Love wounds with heat as Death with cold;
So that I fear they do but bring
Extremes to touch and mean one thing.
                    by Ben Jonson (1637)

Answer:
Love would mould the world together,
For its grasp abides forever,
But, alas! Touched not are some hearts
By wily Cupid’s poisoned darts.
Death is the fate of all living things:
Plants, birds, fish and creatures with wings.
I believe it not to be so cold,
But new life: a cure for the old.
                    by okei (1994)


In honour of Bob Marley, who died 30 years ago at the age of only 36... long may he live on!


Fly, darts! As you are darkly set
To hearts that Love and Death beset,
For here is fighting with us one
Whose free songs many a battle won,
Against despair, hatred, the torn world—
He sings till time becomes one word.
Aye, he burns like no mortal flesh
To immortality, one loving flash!
                    by J. (2011)

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Bob lives on......................

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answer and tribute, Okei... :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks all!! Much appreciated:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was also thinking of Bob yesterday, lovely tribute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Hille!

    Thank you Regal.

    Time for a punky reggae party and it's tonight! Lol, I'm wishing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful thought

    This could be used anytime we are separated from those we love. To help us grieve and yet feel somewhat better for that lost

    "Death is the fate of all living things:
    Plants, birds, fish and creatures with wings.
    I believe it not to be so cold,
    But new life: a cure for the old."

    Very beautiful thought and very nicely done

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Had! I used to believe in reincarnation as a child. I guess I still do, but without the same certainty.

    A friend of mine wrote their own tribute to Bob Marley inspired by the above. I'd love to share it, but I don't want to be breaking their copyright, so I'll wait and see. :^)

    ReplyDelete