Saturday 10 May 2014

Rupa & The April Fishes

Born to Indian parents in California, raised in the US, India & southern France, and leading a double life as musician & doctor, singer/guitarist/composer Rupa Marya and her “polyglot band of musical renegades” concoct an enchanting mix of French nouvelle vague, rousing Latin grooves, Gypsy swing, and dreamy Indian ragas. And to top it all, I just love their intelligent lyrics.


Une Americaine à Paris (An American Woman in Paris)

Guy in the Background:
 
there are not really differences, I think they are social constructions, we have all the same motivations, the same desires and it's a story of connecting...
a story of speaking, of changing ideas and realizing... 
that seems to me the most important thing, and tomorrow morning, you will be smiling

Main Lyrics:
after some days in silence
I did not say a word
and then I met you here in paris
sitting next to me in a bar
you just came from Algiers
and I from San Francisco
the world is crazy between us
you asked
aren't you afraid to be an American woman in Par
is 
with all these angry Arabs
I said no, I'm not American
you are not Arab and we are not in Paris
the world is crazy between us
what do you think of this?
what do you think of all these stories?
these stories, these stories make us crazy
you wanted to take your photo with me
I said no thank you, no photo
I prefer life
I'm not American
you're not Arab and we are not in Paris
we are in life
the world is crazy between us
what do you think, what do you think, what do you think  
what do you think of all this
what do you think of all these stories?
these stories, these stories make us crazy


Trouble


well i've had a fine fine time
but now the moon and its strange light
have put a question on the table
and i know you know what i mean
i can see it in your eyes as they catch upon
something in me
oh that thing is trouble
oh trouble, yeah trouble, beautiful trouble
why don't you stay
i think that you should go
woah, woah
now don't you think that i don't find
everything about you so divine
but just one more moment here and
i'll be through
it's not your fault
and it's not mine
it's the moon and the sweet light
she brings tonight
oh my love, can't you see
she brings trouble
oh trouble, yeah trouble, beautiful trouble
the more i try to explain
the less i know
woah, woah, oh
(Instrumental)
well, it takes 1 to know one
and it takes 2 to tango
and it takes just a count to 3 to fall
out of time out of time
and the ground starts to dissolve
oh my love can't you see
i'm in trouble
oh trouble, yeah trouble, beautiful trouble
the more i try to explain
the less i know
yeah trouble, yeah trouble, sweet sweet trouble
where do i go i don't know
where do i go
woah, woah

Plus Que Moi (More than me)


Oh ma pauvre tete (oh my poor head)
peut pas comprendre toutes ces choses (can't understand all these things)
esclave de mes pensées betes (slave of my stupid thoughts)
enfermée par les histoires que je compose (enclosed by the stories that I write)
chaque matin, chaque soir (every morning, every evening)
poursuivie par l'idée qu'll faut que je m'explique (pursued by the idea that I must explain myself)
et j'essaie avec des histoires mais (and I try with these stories but)
quoi que je dise je ne dis rien (whatever I might say, I say nothing)
et quoi que je sache je ne sais rien (and whatever I might know, I know nothing)

Donc je les lance dans le fleuve (Therefore, I throw them into the river)
toutes ces histoires qui m'énervent (all these stories that annoy me)
et vois celles qui flottent ou s'enfoncent (and watch which ones float or sink)
parce que le fleuve est plus sage que moi (because the river is wiser than I am)

Et aussi mon estomac (And also my stomach)
devient entortillé autour de mes idées (become entwined around my ideas)
essayant de faire les choses plus nettes (trying to make things clearer)
je trouve que je les fais plus melées (I find that I make them more complicated)

Chaque matin, chaque soir (Every morning, every evening)
je me demande c'est quoi la verité (I ask myself what the truth is)
et j'essaye avec des histoires mais (and I try with these stories but)
quoi que je dise ce n'est pas ca (whatever I might say, it's not that)
c'est pas à moi de raconter ce que l'on ne peut pas (it's not up to me to tell what I cannot)

Donc je les jette dans le ciel (Therefore I throw them into the sky)
moi pieds sur terre tenant le bout de la ficelle (me, feet on the ground, holding the end of the kite)
et vois celles qui tombent ou s'envolent (and I watch which ones fall or fly away)
parce que le ciel est plus honnete que moi (because the sky is more honest than me)

Et quoi que je dise je ne dis rein (And whatever I might say, I say nothing)
et quoi que je sache je ne sais rien (and whatever I might know, I know nothing)
je les raconte a la lune (I tell them to the moon)
ici toute seule, toute la nuit (here, all alone, all night)
et apprends d'elle de la folie (and I learn from her of madness)
parce que la lune sourit plus que moi (because the moon smiles more than me)

Yaad (Memory)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment