Wednesday 12 September 2012

The Mirror (Rumi)


Ingredients:
Rumi trans. Coleman Barks & John Moyne

Photo: Sunrise over Lake Louise, Banff National Park, Alberta by Kevin McNeal.


Directions:

When I am with you, we stay up all night.
When you’re not here, I can’t go to sleep.

Praise God for these two insomnias!
And the difference between them.

The minute I heard my first love story
I started looking for you, not knowing
how blind that was.

Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere.
They’re in each other all along.

We are the mirror as well as the face in it.
We are tasting the taste this minute of eternity.
We are pain and what cures pain, both. We are
the sweet cold water and the jar that pours.

I want to hold you close like a lute,
so we can cry out with loving.

You would rather throw stones at a mirror?
I am your mirror, and here are the stones.


Check out my beautiful new website here: http://karmice.tumblr.com

7 comments:

  1. Love the poem, and a beautiful site, indeed. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. The poem is finally finished and it lovely.
    Beautiful site. Very well done.
    Thanks Okei.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Karol!

    I had second thoughts about trying to submit it somewhere, but see, isn't Karmice Tumblr just the best online poetry magazine around, hehe. It is for me anyway! No hassle, no pressure... I pray secure from the same fate as Multiply... and hopefully combining original stuff into self-made photobooks one day.

    Thanks again! Metta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know best Okei about what you want to do with your Poetry, as long as you know its good enough for publication, that's what matters.

    I love the way you finished your poem. and your site is really splendid The picturs along with the Poetry really add to its beauty.

    Good for you Okei.. Thumbs Up!!!.

    Metta

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that just after I posted the poem! It almost gave me second thoughts, and I made my post private because they want "first electronic publishing rights". Then I thought better of it almost immediately and went public again. It's not worth the hassle. One day they will disappear also... but thanks for the thought!

    ReplyDelete